Back to the blog. I am filled with fantastic intentions that this will be a regular occurrence but lets be honest my track history tells a very different story so we shall see what happens.
So its officially 2017 and I for one am glad to see the back of 2016. 2016 was a hard year that taught me a lot about myself but I wouldn’t ever want to relive it. So this time of year you start to see the usual “New Year, New Me” posts that circulate on Facebook, Instagram, Snap Chat etc. People join gyms, give up smoking, start clean eating, apply to go back to school. They start the year with grandiose plans with step by step plans and lists and noticeboards and journals. They have great intentions and start off with gusto. In fairness there are some people who will keep this up for the year, I personally have never met them but I am told that they exist. I set goals rather than new years resolutions because constant improvement works so much better for me in my life.
I managed to achieve most of my goals from lat year and this year I have set some more. This year I have a few like go somewhere spectacular on holiday, read 20 books and finish college with a 2:1 which means I need above 80 on nearly every assignment and exam this year and get back driving (preferably without having a panic attack every time there’s traffic). I do need to drink more water and I have to remember to take my supplements because all the scary warnings they gave me after my surgery to take them apparently didn’t have an effect and I have been not taking them more than taking them which is only going to lead to trouble in the long run.
But this year I am mostly working on me. Last year taught me a lot about who I am as well as those around me. I for the first time in my life seem to have a grasp on who I am as well as what I want which if you know me is a bloody miracle in itself. I am moody and sensitive (too much so at times), I like to take care of people and I’m probably a bit too naive if I’m honest. But all these things make me well me and this year I am accepting that. I want to put myself out there more, I want to take opportunities that I usually let pass me by because I am scared, I want to go on dates and feel confident in myself, I want to be OK with being me which believe me is harder than it looks.
That’s why this year you won’t hear me saying New Year, New Me – I am saying New Year, Same Me and hopefully over the course of the year I will be OK with being the same old me.
Anybody make any resolutions?
Until next time, let your gypsy soul wander.
So when I was in school we had a teacher who informed us the most important rule to follow was the golden rule “Treat others as you would like to be treated”. Now this is not going to be a sanctimonious post about how to treat each other more about how we are treating each other is making me feel. Recently and I don’t know if it is because of the US Presidential election and having to look at Trump’s face or Brexit and people being asked where they were born or Kim Kardashian getting robbed and people thinking that’s OK to joke about but everybody seems to be very mean to each other over the past few weeks. Whether it is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram the trolls seem to be out in force.
I am a sensitive person and I feel things too much sometimes and all this negativity has been getting to me. Friends who support Trump wholeheartedly are really making me upset and wonder why these smart, caring, kind and educated people are blindly following him and excusing his actions. I don’t understand it and by excusing his comments and behaviour you are attempting to normalise it which completely rubs me up the wrong way. Seeing people get into keyboard warrior fights on Facebook posts with other people who vehemently support Hillary. But instead of understanding that everybody is entitled to their opinion and agreeing to disagree like adults it then falls into a name calling match that has included pictures being taken from profiles of not only them but their kids, photo shopped into some horrific images and posted on the internet in reply to a differing opinion all because neither would back down. I understand being passionate but to me that is too far. But the thing that makes me saddest of all is that for every keyboard warrior there are 100 other people liking those posts and backing up the ill treatment of others. It’s also not only the Trump supporters the Hillary supporters do it too. Also the news coverage is polarising and hateful too. The election has been dragged out for too long. What is it now like two years since all this has started? Please just pick somebody and start to deal with the consequences.
Another thing that is getting to me but I cannot put into words what I’m feeling because I honestly don’t know yet. It started with because of Brexit, schools asking parents where their child was born and all the nasty headlines about deporting foreign workers no matter how exaggerated these headlines are the fact that they are happening so close to home makes me anxious about the future of our little island. We share a border with the UK and where we go from here is so uncertain that it’s scary.
I know I sound like a complete naive idiot but please can we just start to treat each other like we would like to be treated or at least just be civil. We all don’t have to agree at all but we can find a way to let the disagreements not turn us into nasty, name calling, assholes. I just can’t take the negativity much longer.
I also find myself relating to this Mean Girls character a lot more which I’m not sure is a good thing. I’ll let you decide…
Until next time, let your gypsy soul wander x
Wow two posts in two days I’m on a roll (don’t get used to it lol) So as the title suggests here is my October Favourites List:
October Fav Song:
This makes me sing at the top of my lungs (in the shower or the car or well anywhere really) and the beat makes me think I’m Shakira and let me tell you my hips don’t lie lol. I will however not look at the video as it gives me the heebie jeebies with the snake.
October Fav Book:
So I don’t have a lot of time to read things that aren’t college books anymore but I made time to read this little gem which has been sitting on my kindle for months (and I have started and not gotten through it about 6 times) and it was a great book. The concept is so out there and you don’t really know what exactly is going on until the moment it clicks and you feel personally wounded. I can’t say much more without giving it away but I would recommend this book.
October Fav Movie:
So as anybody that knows me knows my fav youtubers are Mamrie, Grace and Hannah and they just brought out a new movie Dirty 30 and I have to say I love it a) because I can totally relate to Kate the main character and b) because its really damn funny. You can download from iTunes or if you’re in the US you can get it at Target. It really is worth a look.
October Fav TV Show:
An oldie but a goodie. In preparation for the release of the new Gilmore Girls I have been re-watching the originals from the start (I really love Netflix) and I love it just as much as I did when I watched it religiously as a kid (secretly pretneding to like coffee so I could be more like Rory) I hated the way it ended and am so happy that we may finally get closure. It’s no new series but it’ll do.
October Fav Makeup:
Now don’t die of shock or anything but yes this is me that has a makeup fav on the list. I have not been kidnapped, this is not a cry for help but I am really loving playing around with makeup recently. I haven’t lost the run of myself or anything I don’t wear it every day but this Illuminator by Anastasia Beverly Hills kinda makes me want to. It is just so easy to apply and makes such a difference.You only need to use the smallest amount and the pigment is great. I have had some trouble blending it but I don’t know if that’s my lack of skills or the makeup lol.
Well that iall folks, what are you loving this October?
Until next time, let your gypsy soul wander.
Wow it’s April already. I am seriously still in shock that our Disney Vacation is over and I’m coming to the end of one of my college modules already. I though I’d scheduled lots of Disney posts while I was away, turns out I didn’t schedule them properly so I keeping them for the times when I don’t have much creativity and want to post something (some may call this cheating, I call it being resourceful lol).
Our vacation was completely and utterly amazing. I have a whole post done coming up next week about it but honestly I hate to be home. Next trip isn’t until September to China so lots of time and staycationing between then and now which is kinda depressing but hey it’s worth it for China which has been on my bucket list since I can remember.
April is the start of another No Spend Month for me. Trying to kick start more responsible management of my money. I have been doing so well since the last no spend month but feel myself slipping back to the old spending habits so time to kick my butt back into being fiscally responsible (look how adulty I sound!) I haven’t been taking my supplements and honestly got into a bit of trouble health wise because of it so have to get started back on those and being consistent.
Things I’m loving at the moment are:
- Shadowhunters on Netflix.
- Garlic toasties with bacon and cheese.
- Hillsong Y & F – Youth Revival.
- Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It by Grace Helbig.
- Boots No7 Protect & Perfect Intense advanced day & night creams.
Well thats an update on whats going on with me. Hows everybody else doing? Any exciting news to share?
Until next time, let your gypsy soul wander.
When looking to eat at Walt Disney World in a sit down restaurant you need to book in advance. Advance Dining Reservations (ADR’s) open 180 days in advance and honestly they fill up quickly. The booking opens at 6am Eastern Standard Time (or Orlando time for us in Ireland) for online reservations and the phone lines open an hour later.
If you want a meal at Be Our Guest or Cinderellas Royal Table you will need to be online when booking opens. Be Our Guest is the only quick service restaurant that takes reservations for Breakfast and Lunch. The theme and decoration of the restaurant as well as the good food make it a must do for many people. The atmosphere, the princesses and the fact that you get to eat in the castle make it Cinderellas Royal Table highly sought after reservation. Take this fact combined with Cinderellas Royal Table being one of the smallest restaurants on property means that reservations are hard to get.
Every menu can be found on the Disney website as well as many other places online. Do you want character meals? Unique dining experiences? Dinner Show? Make all of these decisions ahead of time and you’ll be golden.
Here are my Top Tips for dining reservations:
- Use the website: Menu’s, costs, pictures and descriptions of the experiences at each restaurant can be found on the website which are great tools for deciding where you want to eat. Make sure you have registered for a My Disney Experience account in advance of your 180 day window. Have a payment method registered and become familiar with how the website works so you’ll be set to go when its time.
- Dining Plan or No Dining Plan?: This is a choice only you can make for your family. There are three main dining plans the quick service dining plan, the Disney dining plan and the Deluxe dining plan. There is also two higher tier ones the Premium and Platnium dining plans as well. I will have another longer post on this later on. But this page is a great place to start your research: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/disney-dining-plan/
- Plan in advance: Before your booking window opens spend time on the website and decide where you want to eat while you are visiting. Write these down and make a list of importance to you to eat at each restaurant. Remember only table service meals need a reservation. The only exception to this is Be Our Guest which is a QS Restaurant but requires reservations for Breakfast and Lunch due to its popularity.
- Rank your choices in order of importance: Remember that lots of other people will be online trying to make the same reservations. Making a list will help you be prepared for when your booking window opens and always try to get your must have reservations first.
- Be online when your booking window opens: When your booking window opens try and get your reservations in order of which is most important to least important. Pick the time that suits you or closest suits you and book that. You can try change these times over the next while but make them as close to what will suit your family as possible as it is not always possible to change.
- Book Cinderellas Royal Table and Be Our Guest first!: These book up quickly and usually for families with children they are must do restaurants.
- Make breakfast reservations before park opening: If you are planning on having breakfast inside a park the restaurant should open approx an hour before the park opens for reservations. This way you can be ready to go and hit all the major rides once the park officially opens and you can get some great photos with few people in the park.
- Plan enough time for Character Meals: Character meals vary in how long the times are. On our last trip we were served all three courses, met all 5 princesses and made a special wish in Cinderella’s Royal Table in 40 minutes, whereas our Hollywood and Vine Disney Junior Breakfast took 90 minutes. If you have somewhere you have to be (fireworks or parade etc) make sure you leave enough time to eat and enjoy your meal and still get there in time.
- Keep checking back if you don’t get the reservation you want: If you don’t get all your reservations keep checking back in the weeks coming up to your trip. A lot of people cancel reservations especially coming up to the 24 to 48 hour mark as that is when you will be charged if your party doesn’t turn up. Plans change and you may just snag the reservation you want.
- It’s not as scary as some people make it sound: Some people make it sound like a military maneouver and if you don’t do it a certain way you won’t get the reservations and your vacation will be a disaster and your children will be neglected from the magic. None of this is true. We have taken trips where we have not done a single ADR and trips where we had an ADR every night. Some people go to the parks with no ADR’s and are able to get reservations at restaurants that are hard to get but this is usually not the case. Make your reservations that you can and remember to have fun!
When it comes to Disney you are either a Disney person or not. I am a full blown Disney person and proud of it. You can tell me to grow up, you can tell me its for kids, you can tell me I’m not normal (but seriously we all know I’m not normal and its for many different reasons, this is not one of them), you can tell me it’s hot and crowded and full of screaming kids and parents and generally a nightmare. I will listen then tell you to bibbidi bobbidi back up out of my life but nicely with a smile because I’m a Disney person.
There are two camps when it comes to a Walt Disney World Vacation. First is the most crowded camp which is plan your meals, Fastpasses, Touring Plans etc months in advance and down to a tee. Second is the rebels who like to go with the flow and see what happens, don’t make plans and try to work it out when there. Anybody who knows me know I am very clearly stationed permanently in camp one, though I must admit I am envious of those in camp two.
Now planning a Walt Disney World vacation is a lot of work. It involves making plans months in advance. It involves research for everything from Fastpasses to dining reservations to transport. If you want to dine at Cinderellas Royal Table or Be Our Guest and want to get a FastPass for Toy Story Midway Mania or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train then you need to plan.
Basics you need to know are do you plan on staying on or off site? What restaurants do you definitely want to eat at? What do you want FastPasses for? If staying off site how are you going to get to parks? Shuttle, rental car or taxi? Villa or hotel? If staying on site what days are Extra Magic Hours? Dining Plan or no? I feel the inner Monica Geller come out as I write this!
If this seems like too much work for you then its probably not the best place for you to go. Alternatively you can use a travel agent who can take care of all of this for you. I will reccomend Jacquie Skurla over at A Touch Of Pixie Dust Travel for all your Disney needs. Jacquie is so helpful and has a great knowledge of every aspect of Disney from cruising to the parks. I use her as my TA for cruises and couldn’t recommend her more.
Over the next few days you will be seeing some posts about planning. How I do it and tips I have found useful. Hope you enjoy.
Until next time, let your gypsy soul wander.
So my resolution to blog at least once a week is well and truly been broken but lets get back to it.
It’s been over a month since I last blogged about my goals and today honestly I don’t really have anything overly insightful or interesting to write about. So why you ask am I writing? The answer is simply because I want to. I am trying to get back to this blogging thing. A little update on my goals:
I am slowly but surely getting to my goal weight. I for the first time since my surgery put on weight in the second week in January. It was only 1.2lbs but I was a bit upset with myself if I’m honest. I haven’t been putting as much effort as I should into meal planning and was going for what was convenient instead of what was healthy but I’m back on track and am working towards the goal weight (which by my calculations I should hit by September 9th providing everything going to plan which lets face it it usually doesn’t). Health wise I finally got rid of the wisdom teeth and baby tooth that were causing all the problems and I have been drinking my water (mostly) and taking my supplements. This one has been harder to keep to but I have managed to whittle our grocery budget down to €35 a week by shopping at Aldi and not buying crap. College is going fantastically. I am on track (for the first time ever) and starting my second module.
Apart from that I have been in planning mode for our Disney trip in March! I can’t wait. There will be lots of planning posts coming so if you don’t like Disney I apologize. My life is pretty much taken up by dancing, scouts, work and college. My social life has never ever been exciting but seriously there are corpses with better social lives than me at the moment. So I need to start making time for my friends and you know actually spending time having fun. It’s on the list for next month.
Well this was just a short post to dip my toes back into the world of blogging. Hope everybody has been good. Hows the resolutions going for you?
Until next time, let your gypsy soul wander.